Saturday, May 21, 2016

Forming An Opportunity Belief



1.       I have lived in Gainesville for the past 20 years and being legal to go to mid-town for the past 3 years, as well as having older friends, I have noticed a reoccurring trend in this town. I have noticed that a constant problem of spending way too much money on one night out at mid-town or down town is burning a hole in locals’ and students’ wallets.
2.       The unmet need to this problem is the fact that no one has a solution to spending less money while they are intoxicated. Everyone goes into the night not thinking they will spend a lot of money but after a few drinks of “liquid courage” all plans go out the window. I believe this need is prominent within the college student community and young adults. This need came from not only personal experiences, but as well from experiences from close friends and relatives. Right now I believe the only counteraction to this problem is to leave the card at home or take cash out first… But what if the money is all spent on alcohol and now there is no money to Uber home or buy much needed water.
3.       Identify prototypical customer.
3a) Sean Allen- College Student
4a) Sean Allen Recording
5a) What I learned most about this interview is the fact that me, nor my friends am not the only men that has this constant struggle when planning a fun night out at midtown.

3b) Skylar Tyce - College Student
4a) Skylar Tyce Recording
5a) This interview has only furthered my assumption that most college males in this town are struggling with the same problem of trying to have a fun social life while sticking to a college budget. A night out never sticks to the financial plan!

3c) Sarah- College Student
4c) Sarah Recording
5c) This interview had a HUGE impact on my entire hypothesis that men have been spending way too much money on a night out. This impact has been in a positive way though for the fact that Sarah has reinforced the fact that women play a huge factor in the way men spend their money during a night out at mid-town.


7) Through these few interviews I believe that my opportunity to fix a problem is still very much alive. Also after these interviews I believed these strangers reinforced my hypothesis that men are constantly struggling with finding a solution to wasting so much money on a night out. My solution to this problem would be to create an app that freezes your credit card after a certain amount of money is spent to particular bars or restaurants for 24 hours so that you cannot go over on your planned money cap for the night. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Collin!

    This is a great opportunity to read about, because it is so entirely true. No matter how much we want to be the perfect college students, it is simply a fact that going out is part of the whole experience. Alcohol is toxic to our brains from a biological standpoint, and when the toxicity occurs, it is almost impossible to fight it. At certain levels people physically cannot make the same choices they would make when they are sober. Sarah is completely right as well, women play a huge role in the way men choose to behave when they are intoxicated. I know girls who don't even bring a dollar out because they claim that they won't need to buy one drink anyways. It's crazy! This whole opportunity makes me wonder, though, is it the spending that is the problem? Or is it the drinking that is the problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post, it is very true that many people probably spend a lot of money going out and drinking specially in this town. I think the best thing is to leave the card at home and simply carry cash the bars and clubs have free cups of water that people can use in case they get thirsty. Many of the drinks girls drink come in plastic cups so they should be OK drinking water from a plastic cup and the same goes for guys. Taking a card to the club is always a risk for people that like to get "wasted" so best thing is to keep it home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be very encouraging to see ideas, problems and opportunities align, especially when you have personally experienced it. I would find it very intriguing to have an app that can freeze one’s card before they blow all of their money partying, especially with how the phone can connect with the card. Nonetheless, I believe that it is more a matter of how much control you can control yourself with strong peer pressure in the party environment. I would be very curious with how consistent people would be with the app.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Collin,
    In addition to going out, I think this app would be very helpful for those of us who just opened credit cards. We often aren't as fiscally responsible as we should be. An app that notified me of my spending would encourage me to be more strict about my purchases. I think you identified an excellent opportunity and hope to see this app developed soon.

    ReplyDelete