Sunday, June 19, 2016

Halfway Reflection

To start off with, I have been in college now for two years and this class has tested my time management skills the most out of any course so far. This class has multiple due dates and multiple assignments each week that requires you to work on them throughout the week rather than starting on them the night before. Also due to the fact this class is an online course it also tests the amount of discipline you have, it requires you to be responsible and actually “go to class” online rather than skipping it to go to the beach.
One time I had the urge to “give up” on a particular assignment called “bug list”. This assignment was due I believe the second week of the semester and I was still getting use to the schedule of this course. I opened this assignment up the night it was due, I read the instructions and thought it would be such an easy assignment to complete….You know just think of 20 things that “bug” me. I began the list and numbers 1-5 were a piece of cake, once I got into double digits this process came to an immediate halt. This assignment kept me up all night and it was one of the most frustrating times I have had in this class so far. I didn’t give up however because it was still early in the semester and did not want to start off with a terrible grade. Every time I struggle with an assignment now I think back to this one and say to myself “It can’t be as bad as the “bug list” assignment.
My 3 tips:
1.       Log onto canvas every day and be sure to look at all the assignments due this week, then write them down in your phone or a planner, whichever tool you use more.
2.       Keep an open mind, There isn’t only one specific format needed to complete an assignment.

3.       Make this experience your own. These assignments are very unique to yourself, what you put into it will be what you get out of it.

4 comments:

  1. Collin,
    I definitely agree that this class tests your ability to manage your time. It truly is unlike any other class that usually has one day for deadlines and way less assignments. Especially for one that is online. We practically have something due every other day! However, I have found it nice that it allows you to complete everything early. Because of this I am sometimes an entire week ahead which allows me to spend the week stress free. Maybe try dedicating your Sunday or Monday to doing the same, it helps sooo much. Good luck with the rest of the course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collin,
    I am glad that you didn’t let the bug list assignment get the best of you. To be honest, a lot of these assignments can feel very tedious and time-consuming. However, other than the fact that they are all for a grade, it is important to have that kind of motivational boosts in our lives so that we may continue forward and be successful in life. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collin I believe that your halfway reflections were the most relatable of all the posts I've read. I agree that although this course is not something that involves studying or doing a lot of book work it does take time and creativity to do well. If you wait till the last minute a lot of the assignments are impossible to complete. Keep working hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping a calendar is a great way to stay organized and on track for your assignments. It also helps students so that they do not fall behind and so that they can plan ahead. I like your last tip. This class is what you make of it. If you create an idea that you are truly passionate about, you never know what this class may be able to help you with in the future.

    ReplyDelete