Opportunity: There use to only be
three or four ways to use currency. You either had to pay with cash, write a
check, or slide your credit card at places. With today’s technological advances
there are now many more innovative ways to pay for things. There have been apps
such as apple pay, venmo, snapchat, etc. Though there are more ways to pay for
things this brings the complication of keeping all of your information safe. In
2014 there was around 31.8 million cases of credit card fraud which is three
times the amount in 2013. I believe this has to do with the increasing amount
of ways to spend currency. This number alone shows the number of people that
could benefit from an app like mine. The fact there can be a limit on the card
and not have to physically have it with you can help decrease the number of
credit card scams occurring. Most of these frauds do occur online but still
about 15% happen from lost cards and credit card skimming. The fact you don’t have
to physically have your card to pay at places can help prevent you from losing
your card on a night out or getting it skimmed at sketchy bars or restaurants. Consumers
are beginning to see this trend and begin to look for safer forms of payment.
No form of payment will ever be 100% safe for consumers, however my app will
greatly reduce the risk as well as the financial impact of a credit card
scammer. With this enormous amount of consumers being victims to credit card
fraud every year I would say there is huge potential for my app to be
successful. If I could even capture 1% of the people effected it would give me
a customer base of around 30,000 people which will make my app more desired to
advertise on and create great revenue for me. This window of opportunity will
remain open for as long as people need to spend money.
Innovation: CardBlock will be an
app that allows people to put a limit on how much they can spend on their card
on one night at multiple different places. Whether the customer is going out to
a bar, going on a date to the movies, or even out of the country on a vacation
they will be able to electronically budget their spending habits. The customer
will be able to pick the desired locations they plan on going to and then set
up the amount they plan to spend there and will not allow them to go over
budget. This app will also alert the consumer after every transaction and tell
them the percentage of the limit they have already used. These constant alerts
keep people aware of how much they are spending and do not get carried away.
This app will be 1.99 to download which if I got the projected 1% on people in
need of an app like this one that will generate around $60,000. After that I
will allow advertising space on the app which will be how I get constant
revenue after the app has been downloaded. There will be short advertisements
in the beginning while users are signing into their accounts and little banners
of advertisements posted around the site while users are navigating through it.
Venture Concept: My innovation is
set out to help make a form of payment that gives consumers the flexibility and
convenience of a credit card but the limitations of cash. When cash is involved
you can only spend up to the amount on you. With credit cards people can make
large payments on cars, houses, bar tabs etc. without actually having that
amount of money in their bank accounts. This app will make your money more
secure because it cannot be lost or stolen from you like cash or a card can.
Yes the phone the app is on can be stolen, however due to a fingerprint or
passcode lock, nobody except the owner can use their money. Also it will help
with spending too much money foolishly on a night out or while getting caught
up in the moment on vacations, shopping adventures, etc.
My number one resource will be my
communication skills. When dealing with money people tend to shy away from
using third party services like my app. People want to use more “secure” ways
of payment that may come from banks or other financial institutions. I believe
my use of good communication skills will help me make my customers feel safer
when trusting my app with their money. Once they are convinced they will voice
their opinions to their peers who trust them, therefore helping my app grow in
popularity.
The next thing I would like to
tackle is making this form of payment more convenient for my consumers. I will
need to be able to get local businesses on board first and then branch out to
larger corporations to allow my app to be used in their stores.
In the next five years after this
launch I would like to use my profit earned from this first app and invest it
into other startup companies and local entrepreneur’s ideas. I would like to
have a small department of employees who continually run maintenance on my app
and keep it up to date. However I do not like remaining on one project for a
long period of time and would hope to move on to “the next big thing”.
Collin, I definitely can see where you were going with this idea. However, I'm a little concerned about the main point of the application. It seems like it would be more detrimental to not carry anything on you and then only have the limitations that the app sets. For instance, what if I get lost somewhere and need to pay for a cab back? Would I be able to unlock some settings and allow my phone to be used? Would that defeat the purpose of the app? I look forward to reading what you come up with in your final venture!
ReplyDeleteHi Collin,
ReplyDeleteCardblock sounds like a very helpful app, especially with anyone who could get carried away with spending money easily. This app can hopefully instill proper financial handling skills with the users when it comes to them wanting to have a good time. Even calculating the revenue from potential users is definitely an encouraging step in the right direction, seeing how even as little as 30,000 customers can already set you at $60,000. Good luck!